A Couple of weeks ago Reg and I decided we might need a dog to protect our chickens and sheep from coyotes, other wild animals, and neighborhood dogs. One of our chickens had its throat ripped out in the middle of the DAY!
We started praying and researching. Meanwhile, a sister I minister to called me up. Her ex had left her and their three children with his dog. She didn't have the bandwidth to take the dog for walks and could not afford to feed the dog. She wanted to know, is there anyone I know who might want a dog?
I told her we needed one that would protect our chickens and sheep (that were coming) and not hurt our grandchildren or children. She was sure her dog could do this...We've had her for two weeks now and this dog is darling but DISOBEDIENT. She chases the chickens and we've lost one to her now. She will also escape and jump over the fence and into the street which is so dangerous. She comes when we call ONLY when she's on a dog run chain. Once free, all bets are off and she takes off endangering herself and others. She is great with the grandchildren and loves it when we sit with her and brush her, but we are not luxuriating here and rarely have time to do this.
You can't blame a dog for being a dog, AND we need a dog that will help us with our WORK. She is not helping us with our work. She is creating more unnecessary work. I feel sorry for her, but we're giving her back.
We've learned a lesson here and I've thought often as I literally prayed her back into our hands twice, that if she would only come when we called, she could have the whole 5 acers to tear around in. BUT instead she runs straight to danger. I thought about people I know who flee from God's commandments and flee from helping Him with HIS work...thinking they are FREE. But instead, although adorable and funny and cute, they are endangering themselves and others when not staying within the boundaries the Lord has set.
Keeping the commandments literally keeps us FREE to play, to experience the joy of participating in the Lord's work, and the safety and prosperity of being in His fold. He is the GOOD Sheppard.
Hopefully we will be good Shepards when our sheep come next week.
We're getting the barn all cleaned up, safe and protected from coyotes by putting in fences, and good drainage. Autumn came to visit with her boys. They helped us with chores and they picked up some cool homeschooling stuff and I taught Emmet how to drive the little tractor mower.
I learned how to drive a new standup front loader and dig holes for our fruit trees...That was exciting. Ben dropped by with Wells and Ephraim to help install a barn door...in our bedroom. hahah for some reason there was NO bathroom door in our bedroom. Weird.
New adventures await!

No comments:
Post a Comment